Even though most of the smartphones come with Qualcomm chipsets, there are many devices without the same. This includes devices powered by MediaTek, Spreadtrum, Intel, HiSilicon, and many other chipsets.
In our earlier posts, we learned how to download and install Odin software, and Qualcomm USB drivers. Odin was used for flashing stock firmware in Samsung devices. Today, we will discuss SDP Upgrade Tool aka Spreadtrum Flash Tool aka SPD Flash Tool, which is used for flashing or installing .pac firmware. It is used for flashing firmware in phones with Spreadtrum processors. It can be used for upgrading or downgrading software.
You can install the SDP tool from the download links given below, and we will explain all the processes related to it. Please do note that, there is SP Tool which is similar to the SDP Tool. The SP Tool is meant for flashing firmware in MediaTek powered devices. And the SDP Tool is used for flashing Spreadtrum running smartphones, tablets, and basic phones.
Download SPD Flash Tool
|SPD Flash Tool Versions||Download Link|
|SPD Upgrade Tool R24.0.0003 (Latest)||Download|
|SPD Upgrade Tool R23.19.4001||Download|
|SPD Tool R23.0.0001||Download|
|Spreadtrum Upgrade Tool R22.0.0001||Download|
|SPD Upgrade Tool R21.0.0001||Download|
|SPD Tool R19.0.0001||Download|
|SPD Flash Tool R17.17.1202||Download|
|Spreadtrum Upgrade Tool R17.0.0001||Download|
|SPD Tool R4.0.0001||Download|
|SPD Upgrade Tool R3.0.0001||Download|
|Spreadtrum Upgrade Tool R2.9.9015||Download|
|SPD Tool R2.9.9009||Download|
|SPD Flash Tool R2.9.9008||Download|
|Spreadtrum Upgrade Tool R2.9.9005||Download|
|Spreadtrum Tool R2.9.9001||Download|
Till here, we talked in detail about the Spreadtrum Flash Tool, and its features. Now we will look into the process of flashing firmware using the flash tool. As said above, there are several uses of the flash tool, and we have already mentioned earlier.
- A device with Spreadtrum Chipset (now known as Unisoc chipset).
- Make sure that your device has at least a 50% charge.
- As we have said earlier, you need a PC or Laptop which runs on Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
- Backup your device, if you have root access backup with TWRP or any backup applications.
- Obviously Spreadtrum Flash Tool (Download link can be found above).
- Another major requirement; Latest Spreadtrum Drivers.
What is SDP flash tool?
It is developed by Spreadtrum Communications Inc, and as said it can be used for flashing PAC and P5C Firmware files. It includes flashing files of Android devices, and basic phones too. The tool comes as a portable application so you don’t have to install it for use. For this, Download and extract the files, and open the UpgradeDownload.exe file. It can also be used for choosing multi-languages on Android, configure the LCD settings, MCP Type, Read or Write or Erase active flash, etc.
Further, if it shows the “Bin Packet load error” you can use the SPD Research Tool. Do note that it can be used for only flashing Android devices i.e. for PAC firmware. Earlier, the SDP flash tool had bugs, but the latest one fixed all those issues. Most of the smartphone vendors these days come with their own flash tools. For instance, the Mi Flash tool by Xiaomi, Odin by Samsung, and realme had announced they will release the flash tool in Q3 end or Q4 of 2020.
Uses of SDP Flash Tool
- Flash PAC Firmware
The tool will allow for flashing PAC firmware on your Spreadtrum Android devices. The process for it is simple, and we will provide a guide for this.
- Flash P5C Firmware
Further, it also supports for flashing P5C firmware. That means, it can be used for flashing in the basic phones. Do note that only the SDP Flash tool only supports flashing P5C firmware. The SDP Research tool doesn’t support this.
- Best UI
Although there are many flash tools, the SDP tool comes with an easy and snappy. Even though it contains many functions, it is very handy to handle, and use. A noob user can also understand the same, and flash firmware.
- For Flashing Recovery
The software can also be used for flashing recoveries i.e. Custom Recovery or Stock Recovery. Do note that it can flash only .img recovery images.
- Memory Test
The tool can also be used to check the RAM and Internal Memory status of your smartphone via this tool. As said, you don’t need to install the software for using the same. You can open it in a click.
- Flash Custom ROMs, Mods, Root
Like flashing recoveries, it can also be used to flash Custom ROMs, Kernel, Xposed modules, Root, etc for your Android device powered by Spreadtrum.
- Format and Hard Reset
Even though one can format his Android device within the settings, many of them don’t know it. The tool can also be used for doing Factory Reset of your Spreadtrum running Android smartphones.
- Miscellaneous features
There are many features that SDP Flash Tool can do other than the above-listed ones. It includes adding multiple languages, configuring settings of LCD, and many more. There are certain requirements for these like it can be done only if the user sets a special NV and user image file.
Steps for installing drivers!
- Please make sure that you have done all the steps before getting into the process. First, we will talk about installing USB drivers, and later we will talk about the main process.
- Unzip the downloaded files using any software like WinRAR or Winzip. Check whether you are running in 32 or 64 bit OS.
- After this, open Device Manager which you can search from the Start menu.
- Once this opens, Tap on Action, and select on “Add legacy hardware.”
- Now click Next, and click on “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list.” After, repeat the earlier process i.e. tap on Next, and Next.
- Further select Have Disk, and Browse and locate the INF file (it is located inside x64 for 64-bit or x86 for 32-bit which you can see in the extracted folder) and click on the OK button.
- Finally, tap on Next two times, until it reaches the pop-up which displays “Install this driver software anyway.” You guys are done with the installation process of drivers.
Steps for installing Stock Firmware with SPD Flash Tool
- Unpack the downloaded file using any third party software.
- There will four files, open either UPGRADE DOWNLOAD or FACTORY DOWNLOAD to start the process.
- In this folder, open the file UPGRADEDOWNLOAD with the extension .exe.
- Once it opens, tap on the load packet option for loading the firmware. From here, browse for the firmware with .pac extension which you have downloaded earlier.
- Once loaded, connect your smartphone through a USB cable to PC, and click on the Start button.
- It will start upgrading, and wait for the process to get completed.
- Your device may restart several times during the entire process, so don’t worry.
- Once it’s done, it will restart, and yes you have finished flashing Stock ROM.
That’s all about SPD flash tool and how to download it. Please let us know about your thoughts, and queries in the comments section below.
Custom ROMs2 days ago
Best Custom ROMs for POCO X2!
Update Tracker3 weeks ago
Xiaomi Android 11 Update Tracker: When Will Your Xiaomi Phone Get Android 11 Update?
Update Tracker4 weeks ago
Oppo Android 11 Update Tracker – When Will Your Oppo Phone Get Android 11 Update?
Custom ROMs2 days ago
Best Custom ROMs for POCO M2 Pro!
Custom ROMs2 days ago
Best Custom ROMs for Realme X2!