It seems like 2019 will be the year of foldable device with manufacturers like Samsung and Huawei in line to launch their products. According to a new report, Huawei is trying to push their launch ahead to become the first manufacturer to bring a functional foldable smartphone with a flexible display in the market. The source claims the Chinese manufacturer aims to beat Samsung to the finish line, who is currently ahead in the race.
Samsung is already reported to order supplies for its foldable Galaxy X smartphone targeting the Mobile World Congress (MWC) next year to be held in Barcelona Spain. For the launch they even shifted its Galaxy S10 flagship launch to Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2019 to be held in Las Vegas from January 8 to 11.
As for Huawei it confirmed the existence of a foldable smartphone last year and even claimed it to be in prototype stage. Earlier this month the company’s Consumer Business President Jim Xu revealed that the foldable smartphone and a gaming smartphone is in development and they plan to launch the gaming phone by the end of this year. This means the company will have two major projects to work on.
The Huawei unnamed foldable smartphone will use a flexible organic light-emitting diode display manufacturer by Chinese panel supplier BOE Technology Group as per the report. The first batch is stated to be very few in numbers but the target is to launch before Samsung. The company currently ranks third in the world in terms of smartphone sales, and a launch like date will do wonders to its publicity.
A person from the report who is familiar with the Huawei plans said “ Huawei’s planned volume could be limited to some 20,000 to 30,000 units, or even less, for a small group of first-wave adopters.The effort is mainly to demonstrate its technology capability and to attract the industry’s attention and media coverage.“
As for the price and the initial launch market are still unknown, but Yuanta Investment Consukting analyst Jeff Pu said the product will hit very early 2019. He added “The Chinese company wants to be the first in the industry even if the display technology from its panel supplier might not be that ready like Samsung” citing his supply chain sources. Another source reported that the launch date will depend on technology development and durability of the flexible panels which still needs improment.
The collaboration between Huawei and BOE shows China’s amibition to produce and capture the flexible display technology market which will be household in the upcoming years. BOE is already a top contender in the production of TV screens and slowing trying their hands into OLED displays, which is currently dominated by Samsung.
Eric Chiou, an analyst from research company WitsView says BOE wants to make a statement that it is capable of manufacturing advance displays which would lead US companies like Apple to be less dependent on Samsung. Infact, BOE supplied screens for MacBooks and iPhones for the first time in this year.He added “Profitability for this project is not the first priority for the two Chinese companies”.
Sony Mobile to Pull out from India, Australia, Canada, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East!
When it comes to innovations, Sony Mobile has been in the forefront of the news for quiet a long time. In fact, we must thank the Japanese technology giant for helping to shape several devices into what it is today. However, despite the success in technology, Sony Mobile has been falling back in one crucial region, Sales.
Despite having success in the mobile business a few years ago, Sony has fell back terribly in terms of sales recently. Now Sony corporation has decided to stop their mobile business in countries like India, Australia, Canada, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East.
The new move comes as a step to prevent further loss to the company in their mobile business. Sony will be concentrating their mobile business on Japan, Europe, Taiwan, and Hong Kong markets where they still have a name of their own. Recently, the Xperia mobile division of Sony corporation, which was a separate entity, has been collapsed into new division called Electronics Products and Solutions, alongside TV, audio, and camera product lines.
While they were the first to introduce several features when the android boom took place, the slow adoption of industry trends and the lack of innovations after the successful beginning made them to lose the majority of their market share. Precisely speaking, their market share was reduced to less than 1% by 2018, according to Counterpoint Research.
Sony has said that their aim is to cut operational costs by 50% through this strategic move and thereby concentrate on smaller markets. Through this move Sony is planning to drive it’s mobile division to profits by the first financial year of 2020. But it is unclear why Sony has decided to pull out of these countries, where Sony has made a reputation for their quality, instead of releasing new smartphones at better prices.
Huawei’s Android Ban will not Affect Existing Users, Android Confirms!
Huawei is in a huge turmoil and latest developments indicates that the chinese tech giant will be facing a harsh season ahead. Huawei is one of the most valued smartphone company in the world, with second place in worldwide smartphone sales.
Apart from this Huawei is also a forerunner in manufacturing telecom servers and is one of the leading forces behind the 5G adoption. But developments that happened a few months ago revealed Huawei’s smartphones and telecom equipment are potentially being used for espionage for the chinese government.
As a result of it, Trump administration in US has passed an executive order to bar companies in US from providing materials to Huawei, along with the restriction on using Huawei products. While the tech giant made clear that they have enough stock to continue production, Google has stepped forward and declared that they will suspend huawei’s android support.
Google‘s move has put the company under tremendous pressure since they wont be able to use Google Playstore and Play services in Huawei smartphones from now on. It also means that existing Huawei users will not be getting any android or security updates from now on. While Huawei will still have access to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), Google will not lend any support to the company in hardware or software developments.
Huawei has finally broken the silence on the issue by making the following statement:
Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry. Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally. We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally.
As the turmoil continues, sources reveals that Huawei has been working on it’s own OS foreseeing this situation for a few years, and will be rolling out the upcoming devices with this OS. At the same time, reports suggests that Intel and Qualcomm will be following Google’s steps and will stop providing chips to Huawei. However, this will not be a major blow to the chinese tech giant, since they have their own HiSilicon chipset which are already deployed in several devices.
Another reports reveals that Taiwan has followed the steps of US government and has restricted the use of Huawei telecom servers amidst fear of espionage activities. The new events will surely make a huge negative impact in the overall business of Huawei worldwide.
And this is the official statement from Android regarding the situation explaining that the ban wouldn’t affect the existing Huawei/Honor devices:
For Huawei users’ questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov’t requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.
— Android (@Android) May 20, 2019
Xiaomi Shows Off 100W Super Charge Turbo, To be seen first on upcoming Redmi flagship!
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi is finally back in the innovation game after a while now. This time, they have come up with something in the charging department. A few weeks back, the brand unveiled the fastest wireless charging technology which could output up to 20W.
This time, they have taken the wired charging to the next level by introducing Super Charge Turbo which can offer up to 100W (expected to be 20V/5A). This could charge a 4,000 mAh battery from 0 to 100% in just 17 minutes. To put this in perspective, the current leading wired charging is Oppo’s SuperVOOC Flash Charge 50W (10V/5A) and Huawei’s 55W fast charging. This will be twice as fast as the current charging techniques.
Lin Bin, co-founder and president of Xiaomi has officially teased Super Charge Turbo on Weibo by publishing a video where this new charging technique is compared on a smartphone with 4000 mAh battery against the Oppo R17 Pro which has a 3,700 mAh battery and 50W SuperVOOC flash charge. The Oppo R17 Pro will take around 35 minutes for a complete charge using its SuperVOOC flash charge. Take a look at the video below:
Moreover, Lu Weibing, president of Redmi division has announced that the sub-brand Redmi will be the first from Xiaomi to mass produce and implement the Xiaomi Super Charge Turbo which is quite surprising as the brand has decided to focus on the Redmi lineup more than the original Mi lineup. There were rumors in the past regarding an upcoming flagship Redmi smartphone. This technology will be seen in this next flagship which will be featuring Snapdragon 855 chipset.
There is no exact timeline regarding the arrival of this technology or the smartphone harnessing this feature. We’ll have to wait as of now for the brand to reveal further details. Till then, stay tuned for updates.
Upcoming Phones7 days ago
Xiaomi to Launch Redmi Note 7S in India on May 20th!
Upcoming Phones7 days ago
Honor 20 to Launch in India on June 11th!
Officially Launched3 days ago
Redmi Note 7S Launched in India. Just the Global RN7 with a Different Name!
Upcoming Phones4 days ago
Black Shark 2 Launching in India on 27th May
Officially Launched6 days ago
ASUS Zenfone 6 Launched! Comes with Weird Flip Camera & Full Screen Camera!
Upcoming Phones5 days ago
OPPO K3 Official Poster Reveals Pop Up camera, In Display FP & SD710!
Officially Launched4 days ago
OPPO A9x Launched in China. Comes with 48MP camera & 4020 mAh battery
Upcoming Phones3 days ago
ASUS Zenfone 6 Launching Soon in India. Teased by Flipkart!