There is a lot of confusion about com.sec.epdg between users. And you would be wondering if this app is necessary on your phone, or if it is a virus or even how to uninstalled com.sec.epdg. Or you might be frustrated with the the com.sec.epdg has stopped pop up in your device that’s coming over and over again.
We are going to tell everything about com.sec.epdg here, including how to fix the com sec epdg error!
What is com.sec.epdg?
It is a pre-installed mobile application, which comes bundled with your Samsung phone, as a system app.
Let’s breakdown com.sec.epdg terminology.
- com – compiler
- sec – Samsung Electronic Products
- epdg – Evolved Packet Data Gateway
What is ePDG?
To understand fully what com.sec.epdg is, we need to talk about what ePDG is.
ePDG stands for “Evolved Packet Data Gateway”.
2G and 3G use different network architectures for both voice and data. But 4G LTE networks use EPC for data and voice. LTE uses a single framework called Evolved Packet Core or EPC for both voice and data.
The main work of ePDG is to handle security and authorization with the help of using protocols like IPSec/IKEv2 or proxy mobile IPv6.
com.sec.epdg is hence essential for your device to function, like com.samsung.android.incallui.
Is com.sec.epdg virus?
No, com.sec.epdg is not a virus. Many people see it as a virus because of its strong name. But it didn’t harm your mobile anyway. So it is not related to any malware as we tell you earlier; the app deal with LTE services.
You don’t have to delete the application from your device by thinking of a virus. It is a safe app.
How to fix the com.sec.epdg has stopped error?
There can be many reasons behind com.sec.epdg keeps stopping error. So here we will tell you how you can fix the problem.
First method – Clear Cache
- Open Settings menu on your phone.
- Navigate to Applications or Apps option in settings.
- Go to the three-dot menu.
- Now click on the show system apps.
- Find the com.sec.epdg on the list.
- Open it and on the next screen, click on “Clear Cache” option.
The unfortunately com.sec.epdg has stopped error should possibly be resolved now.
Second method – Check if the error is caused by any recently installed untrusted apps using Safe Mode.
If the earlier method didn’t work, you could go for this method.
com.sec.epdg has stopped error could be caused by some third party apps you have installed recently too. We need to check if it’s caused by any third party app or not. We are using safe mode in your phone to determine that.
When you boot your phone in safe mode, it doesn’t let the third party apps to function. Let’s explain how to enter safe mode on your phone:
- Turn your phone off.
- After shutting down the device, turn it on until you see the screen running.
- Click on the power button and then press the volume down button until the device turns on.
- Now you can see a safe mode option at the bottom.
Now check if the com.sec.epdg has stopped error is appearing on your phone.
- If it is not appearing on your phone, the error is caused by some app in your phone. Most probably one of the apps that you have recently installed.
- If it is still appearing on your phone, the error isn’t caused by any app and you can move on to the next method.
Third method – Factory reset
Factory reset will clear all your mobile data. So make sure you have data backup before factory reset.
- Open Settings menu on your phone.
- On the search option in settings, search for “Reset” and click on it.
- Then click on the factory data reset option.
- Now tap on the reset data and if it asks for password or screen lock, enter it.
Your phone will be reset. And the error has possibly gone now forever.
If it still doesn’t work, you’re out of luck with simple solutions, let us be frank.
Fourth method – Flash the Stock Firmware
If all the methods got flopped, then you can try this out.
This method needs the latest firmware file and flashing software. You can use Odin it offered by Samsung. It is an easy-to-use firmware flashing tool. If you understand the basic thing about flashing, you can use it.
If this sounds too much technical to you, please visit the nearest repair store.
Can I Uninstall the com.sec.epdg?
You cannot uninstall com.sec.epdg as it is a system app and is required for the normal functioning of your phone.
In the guide, we tell about what is com.sec.epdg and its features, and how to fix the error. We try to give all the information about epdg. To fix the error, we give you four methods. But remember, consider flashing firmware as the last option.
We suggest you try the first two methods to fix the error. First, reset your device. It is the first option when you face any com sec epdg related problem. Stick to the first two methods to fix the problem.
If you have any queries related to com.sec.epdg, don’t forget to ask them in the comments section.